Saturday, September 25, 2010

Collage

I'm a big fan of collage. I don't do enough of it, but I do enjoy the finished product when I do. The concept of creating a new image from preexisting ones is an interesting challenge.


"Untitled"
This is my favorite. It took close to about six hours.  



"Untitled"
This took me about twenty minutes. Honestly, it's not my favorite but it has a nice grid.
"New York III"
This one was done as an assignment from my time in New York City this past May. We had to create a collage influenced by the idea of the medieval Illuminated Manuscript. It was a fun project and I gave mine an aquatic themed twist.


"Upon Finding Van Gogh's Irises in New York"
This was a fun project, also from New York. Here I took photographs I had taken of works I had seen in museums and cut them up. You'll see some Van Gogh, Georgia O'Keefe, George Tjungurrayi and a picture of a sidewalk.


"New York II"
This one was an interesting puzzle. I went away from my typical use of organic movements and limited them to the center of the picture plane. It was a funny juxtaposition as you'll notice one is a classical ballerina and the other is a stripper. Both images were found in magazines. 



"Me in the City"
This collage was done in response to my experience in the city after three weeks of being there. I don't feel it did the experience justice but that's okay. If you can't tell, the silhouetted figure in the middle is me. 

 
I like the versatility of collage as a medium. You can spend hours on one or fifteen minutes and create something just as interesting. It can also be quite therapeutic. 
-Tim

2 comments:

  1. Hated collages until I read this, "The concept of creating a new image from preexisting ones is an interesting challenge." Now they are lukewarm, but I do like the Van Gogh's irises one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAH. FREAKING TIM GOLDSMITH.

    So proud to know ya.

    ReplyDelete