Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Experiments

These two paintings were done last semester. I was attempting to look at color in a different way than is my tendency (I struggle with using color well in my paintings). I looked at a landscape and tried to break it down into simple squares of color to get the overall temperature of the colors out there. 

The first painting was done with larger squares and I later went back over the painting with an umber ink wash to put in detail. I like the effect and hope to do more with it.

 
"Chattanooga Valley from the Overlook"
Watercolor and India Ink


The next painting was done in much the same way but without the ink. Here I broke the color into even smaller more specific squares (and rectangles) of color. It had an effect of pixels which I found interesting.

 
"The Overlook"
Watercolor

I'm rather pleased at how these two turned out. I'm looking forward to working through this concept more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment